Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Dad - Sunday, 6/7/09

I wish I had a picture of my Dad to go along with this post. But, I haven't had a picture of my Dad in probably 10 years.

If my Dad actually read this post, I bet he would never believe it...because I'm getting ready to say that he was right! I never do that!

When I was a kid (or a growing young lady) we had a very serious talk. Of course, I didn't want him to think that I heard a word he said. Teenagers never listen to their parents and when they do, they sure don't want their parents to know that they actually listened. What would that say about me? But, this one talk...the ONE talk (rather lecture) I remember that has haunted me for my entire adult life. I can't possibly say everything he said to me in THAT talk because it was 2 F'n hours long, but this is what I got from it:

My Dad told me that he had suffered through his adult life because he chose to make money over what he really wanted to do in life. He picked a career when he was 17 years old and that career sustained his family for over 40 years. He said that he picked his career based on two factors: time and payoff. (1) Time in college must = 4 years (no longer), and (2) The payoff/paycheck much = high money without working your way up. His career choice? Pharmacist.

Did he enjoy it? NO. Did he hate getting up every day and performing the same mundane tasks over and over? YES. When he was telling me this, he had 20 years in his field. By the time he told me this, he was in his mid-forties. I kinda got it then...but not so much, because I LIKED that my Dad had that career. Why? Because I got everything I wanted as his daughter. I lived in one of those uncredulous, "live-behind-the-white-gate-communities" and had every possible opportunity. Piano? Check. Swim Team? Check. Art lessons? Check. Horses? Check. Yacht club? Check. Marina Club? Check. Golf club? Check. Tennis lessons? Check. You name it...I had it.

Now that I am the age that he was when he gave me that lecture...urrr. That is where I am. On that gray, overcast day he told me one thing. He told me to pick a career that would begin a life, but for me to never think that I should pick something at the age of "17" that would sustain me for the rest of my life. He told me that I should pick something that I would want to get up and DO EVERY DAY....Something I would feel passionate about.

On that particular overcast day, he told me that, on average...I would probably pick 3 careers before I settled into the one that I wanted.

Dad, you were right. My first career was Retail Services, my second has been Information Technology...now all I want is to be a writer. The dilemma? The first two make you money...the last one gives you personal gratification.

Dad, I've always been a writer. It is in my
heart. It is in my soul. I need you to know that I AM a writer. I have stories to tell. You were right....maybe now I can call you and tell you.

Love,
Your daughter

No comments: