Monday, March 9, 2009

10 Places I Don't Like To Be - Monday 3/9/09

I never noticed this phenomena before the divorce. Let me explain. It isn't the divorce that I care about..it was long overdue. What I miss is my children. I definitely notice these "family" moments now...these are the places I don't like to be:
  1. The airport. Families are traveling to go on the yearly family vacation or visit extended family.
  2. The mall. Mothers taking their children out to spend a day of shopping or just strolling and window shopping.
  3. The grocery store. Enough said...I stand in the checkout line alone checking out my 5 items while I wait for the $300 grocery checkout. Until now, I didn't realize planning a meal was such a family event.
  4. The amusement park. This is probably the worst scenario...I'm with my boyfriend (which isn't bad), but I used to be one of those Mothers that had a line of kids..and telling them, "Get down...sit still...quit bothering your sister." That was me and I miss it.
  5. The park. There is no worse place to visit if you're single. Everyone is there with their family. I used to think it was a chore, but now I miss the experience.
  6. The neighborhood family restaurant. I used to be "one of those"... I was the mother that used to drag her children into the family dining establishment to teach them social and table manners. Now, I'm there as a patron. I don't like that kids ruin everyone's dining experience, but I do miss the intentions.
  7. The county fair. I went for the first time in 10 years. It was actually boring, I didn't realize how fun kids make it.
  8. The beach. I used to like to go to the beach, but now it's just me and my boyfriend. We just find a place to sit and watch everyone else having fun. I can't believe that I would miss getting messy helping my child build a sandcastle OR worry that a wave is going to take her down!
  9. The road trip. I miss, "Mom, I have to go potty!"
  10. The swimming pool. I really miss, "I DON'T WANNA GO. I DON'T WANNA GO. WHY DO WE HAVE TO GO?"
I didn't realize that I was absorbed in the responsibility and I didn't get it. I should have enjoyed the experience. I miss the experience. Now? I watch your families have the experience.

No comments: